Seafarers Identity Document (SID) is one of the important documents before joining a ship for a cadet. The new biometric SID has the provisions for the bar coding of the biometrics based identity of seafarers and a centralized data base maintained in the issuing country, which can be accessed globally through an interoperable & standard biometric template.
Many students don’t apply for SID before and wait for the company to ask for SID and then they face issues regarding appointments.
So, you should apply for SID even before the company asks for it.
Documents required for Seafarers Identity Document (SID):
- Indian Passport
- Indian CDC
Steps to Apply for SID online:
Before applying for SID, you must check your DGS Profile details data are in order and correct, and if any correction pls correct it before applying.
You should use the Mozilla Firefox browser to apply for SID.
- Log into http://dgshippingbsid.in using your user id and password (It’s the same what you use for logging into your profile)
User id is Indos No.
- Before proceeding you must read the general instructions and collect the required documents.
- Click on the Link “Apply for SID”
- Check the personal details in the form and click to continue.(Most of the data comes automatically and u need to verify the same
- If data not comes automatically thn first update your DG profile
- Fill the address details and click continue
- Varify all the details before Submit the application.when all in order submit application.
- After that Pay the fees online (300 INR). Avoid Visa debit card(sometimes there are some issues with payment gateway)
- After paying the fees , u need to wait for 1-2 working days for the payment to reflect in DG website. (Don’t pay the fees again).
- After payment gets reflected ,than click on take appointment and there u will see all the slots available for all MMD’s.
- Click on “Schedule Appointment” on the screen to schedule an appointment.
- Select the collection center along with the date and time from the slots available.
- Your application would be transmitted online to the verification officer, who will check the application.
- Once u book the appointment , take the print out of the acknowledgment and also take print out of the application letter .
- Within 10 days of submission of application, you will receive a notification on the verification result of the application through an e-mail and SMS.
- If you wish to reschedule your confirmed appointment (after payment of fee), same can be done do so for maximum two more occasions (excluding the first appointment). If you reschedule your appointment for more than two occasions, then you will have to pay the fee again. In other words fee once paid is valid only for three appointments.
- Visit the MMD at the scheduled appointment day atleast 10-15mins earlier with the application form, the acknowledgement, Original Passport and CDC.Data capturing personnel, after examining your documents would return the same and capture your bio metric data i.e You will have to sign on a digital pad and after that they will take your photograph with their own camera and that’s it. Job done.
- Check website and it will show that documents verified and sent for SID generation.Seafarers Identity Document would be issued and printed.
- Same shall be dispatched by speed post within a month.
Is SID Mandatory for Seafarers?
Yes, Seafarers are required to hold the SID as part of their employment and the seafarers unions have made it clear that they prefer to have their passport as a separate document which makes no mention of their employment as a seafarer.
What is the Seafarer Identity Document fees?
The Fees for applying for SID is Rs. 300 in India.